Our Changing Display case within the Discover Preston gallery is an adaptable case located in the Discovery Room.
The displays will tell new stories about Preston and its cultures and communities using objects from both the museum collections and those collected by groups.
We aim to change the display four times per year – featuring two displays created by the Harris team and two displays created by our local community, living and working in Preston.
When putting together these changing displays, we will work with local people to:
• Create displays about Preston that use the Harris Museum collection
and the gallery as a starting point for ideas.
• Tell new stories about Preston and to be about different groups of people living there.
• Encourage a sharing of ideas and skills between groups and the museum.
• Hold different events and activities which tell visitors more about the displays.
When bringing about these displays, we will:
• Display different cultures and backgrounds
• Become more relevant to the people of Preston
• Understand more about the history and viewpoints of different groups
• Improve the museum for visitors by making sure different stories are told that reflect the people of Preston.
• Build relationships with groups and organisations
• Explore and talk about interesting issues and current affairs
• Support diversity and identity, ownership and contribution
• Give opportunities for groups to learn new skills
We would like to encourage proposals from community groups and organisations rather than individuals, demonstrating the desire to work in partnership with us over a sustainable period of time. We will offer our support and guidance to applicants throughout the process to ensure that we receive a diverse range of proposals. The selection process will be made by a panel of individuals from the local community that will meet on a regular basis and will use selection criteria for fairness. The selection criteria will have been created and agreed upon by the panel to help them to identify exciting partnership proposals.
Proposals selected by the Changing Display Case Steering Group will:
• Meet our aims
• Have a strong message or story to tell
• Link to other events, anniversaries and issues relevant to Preston
• Include objects of a size that will fit into the case and are safe to display
• Present opportunities to work with a wide range of groups and organisations especially those
who are new to working with the museum
• Be fully supported by museum staff at that time
• Be fully funded from the Changing Display case budget or from further external funding
If you wish to make a proposal, please fill in the proposal form which can be downloaded here or requested by ringing 01772 905428.
Download the Proposal From here.
Easy Read versions are available here:
Easy Read Proposal Form
Easy Read Changing Display Case information sheets
Please return your completed proposal from by post or as an email attachment to:
Discover Preston Learning & Access Officer,
Harris Museum & Art Gallery,
The deadlines for proposals each quarter are:
30th September, 31st December, 31st March 2014 or 30th June.
All proposals will be discussed and the panel will recommend that a) the proposal will be taken no further b) request further information or development of the proposal or c) recommend the proposal is provisionally selected for the Changing Display case programme.
We will telephone the lead contact to discuss the panel’s decision within 6 weeks after the deadline.